Sometimes I need a quick “go-to” meal with all the right comfort elements: proteins, vegetables and starches. It is fast to make, pretty simple and most of the ingredients can be substituted so I use the vegetables and herbs that I get in my CSA basket (community supported agriculture). It must be colorful and contain that hit of fresh herbs at the end.
- 1 red onion, finely diced
- 1 rib celery, finely diced
- 1 carrot, finely diced
- 1/2 pound organic grass fed ground beef
- 1 tbsp tomato paste (or a fresh chopped tomato if it’s the right season & it is farm fresh)
- 1/2 green bell pepper, yellow bell pepper and red bell pepper
- 1 cup Israeli couscous
- 1 bunch finely chopped fresh parsley
- Cook the couscous according to package directions (don’t forget the butter;-))
- Saute onion, celery and carrot until soft. Season.
- Add beef and saute on med until brown. Season.
- Add tomato paste and mix well. Add a bit of water or broth, as needed.
- Add cook couscous, stir, then stir in the fresh parsley and serve.